• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

User sites/Webhosts

Started by CrazyMobius, May 18, 2011, 09:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

Does anyone here have there own website? If so which webhost do you use and have you had any significant experience with certain hosts?

Cheers.

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on May 18, 2011, 09:15:19 AM
Which certain hosts?

Sorry this is the best way I could put across what I meant. I meant 'those hosts which you should look out for'. Positive or negative.

stereomonkey

Ask Gino since he found somewhere cheap to host shit... or did he just get a domain name and host it on his own server??  Ummm. Answer this question Glol.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Pretty sure he's hosting it on his own box.

NZism is hosted by dreamhost, but it's possibly overkill for a simple site. You basically get a ridiculous beastly host for $9US per month. Has the occasional downtime (as people may have noticed), but they have an RSS feed for what's happening with their system which is really useful from an admin perspective.

http://www.dreamhost.com/

Actually, come to think of it, I work at a web hosting company and am a reseller, lol. I can probably hook you up for almost nothing. As long as you have the domain. Which I can possibly also sort out for you for a fee depending on what kind of domain you're after.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

I'm on dreamhost too - shit is good - very cheap and has practically anything you could want (assuming you're not running some sort of .NET/ASP site)
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on May 18, 2011, 09:48:16 AM

NZism is hosted by dreamhost, but it's possibly overkill for a simple site. You basically get a ridiculous beastly host for $9US per month. Has the occasional downtime (as people may have noticed), but they have an RSS feed for what's happening with their system which is really useful from an admin perspective.

http://www.dreamhost.com/

Actually, come to think of it, I work at a web hosting company and am a reseller, lol. I can probably hook you up for almost nothing. As long as you have the domain. Which I can possibly also sort out for you for a fee depending on what kind of domain you're after.

Cheers man. James and I are thinking of relaunching our card game site.

So I'll let him know.

Thanks.

CaptainHook

I have a VPS with www.hawkhost.com.

Smaller company than Dreamhost but very good. All their servers are with Softlayer.
They have a great reputation out there.

They also use Litespeed instead of just Apache, even for their shared/reseller hosting.

This site can be helpful when doing research into a webhost:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Dreamhost is prob a safe bet though based on Alan/Eru's experience.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

CaptainHook

Quote from: fluxcore on May 18, 2011, 09:48:16 AM

Is that just with a normal ISP plan? I thought that was against T&C's for most ISPs?

fluxcore

In that case I made everything up.

electric

We use Softlayer for our work servers - shit is really good, although we pay for physical machines, so it's expensive as.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CaptainHook

Quote from: fluxcore on May 18, 2011, 12:07:33 PM
In that case I made everything up.

LOL
I don't think it's that big of a deal in NZ where most people's upload speeds dont even reach a MB. :(

Quote from: electric on May 18, 2011, 12:26:24 PM
We use Softlayer for our work servers - shit is really good, although we pay for physical machines, so it's expensive as.

Yeah, hawkhost does the same thing. Its pretty cool on the softlayer blog they've been posting progress on one of the
new data centers in San Jose they're building (my VPS is in a Dallas data center) - starting back here:

http://blog.softlayer.com/2011/before-they-were-softlayer-data-centers/

Gino

Quote from: CaptainHook on May 18, 2011, 11:58:05 AM
Is that just with a normal ISP plan? I thought that was against T&C's for most ISPs?

fuk em
www.ipeedonthecarpet.net

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Gino on May 18, 2011, 12:43:04 PM
fuk em
www.ipeedonthecarpet.net

Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www.ipeedonthecarpet.net.
Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of  www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

LN

This is why you avoid Gino as a hosting service
There is no knowledge that is not power