• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Round Robin Ranking Ranbats. Or R.R.R.R. Dunedin Assist edition!!!!

Started by CptMunta, October 11, 2010, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

So I was thinking, the best way for us to level up and get more people into the scene is with ranbats.

Having something on the line will inspire us to play better and level up our community.

So ideas:

2 - 5 bucks
Run every 2nd week
Round Robin
2 setups
Casuals/lessons on the side

Round robin
So basically everyone plays everyone in 3 games. Points are tallied and top 2 or tied players play off and 1st place adds points to their score.

So why not double elim?
This makes every win count. So even if you don't win the whole thing you still stay in the game.

Mashmaster tradition
Thinking about people that go zero and win no matches. Bottom players play it out for bonus points. Also if one player has more points at bottom. The player with the least points had to win two sets. Other guy has to win one.

PRIZES etc
Is dunners still rockin ssf4 tourneys?
We could send our winners to Dunedin maybe or the top 3 get cash every 3 or so months, or save up for nationals.

Needs:
Gear
We have enough ps3 goodness to go round but supporting xbox would be rad. I'll have a dual mod stick in a month or two so we can support x360 pad etc

Venue
My pad is all good but I'll ask gamestation as well. Upside would be more random punters downside would be we'd have to pay gamestation to run overtime or start REALLY early.

So, thoughts?
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

HoneyBadger

Round Robin takes ages. If you have randoms show up, do you have enough time and setups to finish at an appropriate hour that will make people want to come back?
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

redtie

Nick4now

What Smoof said. If we have the time then I don't mind the Round Robin idea. It'll be cool to play against everyone and in the process we'll all get a lota exp.

But I don't think double elimination is bad idea either. For those who go 0 - 2 we can help them improve on the casual setups and maybe inspire them to get better? I don't really say anything when it comes to giving tips since I really don't feel like I'm good enough to do so but I'll try just to help our scene grow further  :)

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

CptMunta

I reckon round robin if it's less than 8-10 players cos then it's just like fighting your way out of pools for the main event anyways.

But Double elim for over those numbers. Then it's like an event in itself anyways.

As for advice for players, I reckon any advice from anyone in our scene is valid at this stage. In our local scene what works for us is fine to pass on as advice I reckon. Don't be shy about tips man, I've heard you give really good advice to the guys. I didn't even know about Instant air CS into Ultra or heaps of other stuff before you guys told/showed me. :)

GamerzClub

Hi Cpt Munta, our tourneys died off as there were not enough 'serious' players. Pretty much cleaned up by Devilleto and MJ-Tahana. had one player pulled out of the tourney after got beaten hard, and he never play anymore after that... I think it is a good idea to build south island community. Was meant to discuss with you guys up in chch and see what we can do together.

Xboxes aren't problem for us, we have 12 in the shop and 2 more on the 50inch. We have 2 SE stick (one is mine, modded with Seimitsu stick) and one tekken stick. One of my staff and another regular customer has SE stick with sanwa parts. Pretty much gear/equipment is not a problem here.

Any ideas for a combined community? We have xbox live on all our machines, except for those on 50inch but we can get that hooked up. We were running weekly sessions here on thursday nights, but only few of us who are the regulars. I'm thinking of running sessions Online, ie allocating 4 of my machines for Endless Battles, 2 for more serious play, and 2 for newcomers/beginners. Depending on how reliable the connection going to be, we planned to involve cash prizes etc like an online tourney (and yeah, I realize there will be lots to consider regarding lag, dropout, judge etc).

On the other hand, I'm also keen to get involved in other fighting games, wouldn't mind picking up on any fighting games as long as there is potential to grow it (since timezone in Dunedin has closed down). If community in the ChCh is willing to have a trip down to Dunedin with enough numbers, I wouldn't mind throwing in a hundred bucks or so as guaranteed prize on top of the entries, to get it going.

I've had enough of hearing news about events in auck, auck, auck, auck and bloody auck. Lets have some down here. South Island will have Gamerz Club's support, provided we have the resources for it  ;)

Look forward to any ideas and feedback. Apologize for the long reply. Thanks.

Raz
Gamerz Club Dunedin
XboxLive : mysteryz82

Lennysaurus

Wow that sounds freaking Rad.  I hate to talk about Auckland in your topic but that venue sounds pretty sweet dude, and I'd kill to have something like that in Auckland.

Anywhoo, if you guys have it some time during the uni break in janruary or february and give plenty of notice I wouldn't mind rocking down there tbh.  Just need notice for tickets/spending cash/Motel Bookings etc.  Some sort of rad South Island tourney hahaha.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Flash

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

GamerzClub

haha just kidding with auck thing, might have a gamerz club auck one day :P . Just feeling its pretty dead down here in terms of fighting games, unlike mw2 which always used up all my discs. Me, my staff and couple more regulars are just really keen :)

CptMunta

Hi Raz indeed it does sounds freaking awesome!

Hmmmmm I'd have to think about how we would swing it. The next tourney I was kinda thinking about was the mvc3 launch party in march. Hopefully with hookups from capcom like last time.

We've had 4 chch tourneys this year already and I was kinda thinking about ranbats as a way of keeping the scene going till the next tourney. But I would definitely love to combine communities! Have a special South Island tourney. Maybe early next year or I could reboot the Holiday Hadokens tourney idea. Just need some sort of hook to pull in new players.

I know it's a really long shot but if I could swing getting some mvc3 preview code or something to attract players from around the country that would be awesome! Though doubt it would happen. We could have a launch party tourney and then head to dunners and play you guys.

We have a split of players between ps3 and xbox at the moment. One guy has a xbox te and hori. I have a ps3 te (which will be dual modded soon) and a sanwa modded se. RAF has a sanwa se as well and some ps2 sticks and convertors. We have a couple more Xbox pad warriors and PS3 pad warriors. So don't know how we would go about online tourneys just yet. Maybe online team tourney or something. Auckland vs Christchurch vs Dunedin. :)

So in short, aside all my ramblings mega keen! ;D We should talk more. Might rename this thread. MJT popped down to christchurch when our scene was just kicking off. Be good to play him again :)

GamerzClub

Auck vs Chch vs Dud.

Mad keen. :D

Sounds like a plan CptMunta. I'll talk to the crew here. Look forward to hear from you again. :D

Nick4now

Depending on time/date I'm keen for a roadtrip to Dunedin! Man didn't realise Deviletto and MJT were from there!

Fucking awesome  ;D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah i know that MJ Tahana guy. He play on psn ay. Got a nice Sagat man. He's the only  one that doesn't let me dash foward and crossup after SK. And i know some top guys that are too slow for that one lol.

So is this where we post our next upcoming tourny in AUCKKALLLANNNDDD!!!!
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

hmm who is Deviletto and MJT ??? SF4 players?
any clips of their gameplay? pretty keen to check it out.

btw, if we had support from GamerzClub in Auckland.. our scene would grow even bigger.
We are restricted from Venue and sponsorship in AKL, which sucks as I believe we can do better if we had such, just like Good Games in Sydney are big supporters for the SF4\ OzHadou scene there.

Its great to see south island doing so well!!!! gW!!
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

GamerzClub

They both play on PSN. Devilleto brings his pS and plays at my shop. But some times he goes on the xbox and use our accounts.
Yeah when time (and money) comes, will definitely look into north island. :)